I recorded a sort of musical journal this spring as some of the challenges of the past year slowly started to fade. Winter was hard and I didn’t play, write or record much, so I needed rigid parameters to get started:
- short, repetitive loops/improvisations that overlap
- instruments and effects recorded live to tape
- 4 tracks on the tape machine = 4 instruments (piano, drum, trombone and cymbals)
- instruments/tracks cycle in order (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 etc.)
- tracks gradually overlap more and more
- fill the entire tape
Hopefully this is the last solo/basement/pandemic project for a while and the next project will be written for and performed by live musicians, but finishing and producing these recordings helped me process some of this transition and the final product exceeded my expectations. Thanks for listening!